In order to build equipment for the system, the government established the Atelier Fédéral de Construction des Télégraphes (Federal Workshop for the Construction of Telegraphs).In July 1852, the first leg of the country's telegraph system—between St. By the end of that year, most of the country's main cities had been connected to the telegraph system.The following year, in order to extend the country's phone system into rural parts of Switzerland, the government began promoting the establishment of party-line systems.In 1920, the Swiss government created the Swiss PTT, combining the country's postal services and telegraph and telephone systems into a single, government-controlled entity.The following year, the PTT started the first fully automatic public telephone exchange in Zurich-Hottingen.The PTT began telex services in 1934, and by 1936 had linked up the cities of Zurich, Basel, and Bern, which were then linked via Zurich to the international market.
The number of Switzerland's telephone subscribers steadily grew, particularly after the inauguration of a new telephone central capable of handling nearly 4,000 lines.
The Swiss telegraph network was first set up in 1852, followed by telephones in 1877.
The two networks were combined with the postal service in 1920 to form the PTT (Postal Telegraph and Telephone).
By 1896, Switzerland's telephone network had been extended to include all of Switzerland's cantons.
By 1900, the country had also established its first international connection, between Basel and Stuttgart, Germany.